What is the difference between Microneedling and the Vampire (PRP) Facial?
The difference between microneedling and vampire facial: Microneedling is a quick collagen inducting treatment which uses micro needles to penetrate the skin. Vampire Facial is an extract of your own blood that contains platelets. When PRP is placed back into the skin, it initiates a localized growth cell response.
This 45 minute, minimal to no downtime, collagen inducting treatment uses a handheld device with 9 micro needles to penetrate the skin (at varying depths from .25 mm to 2.5 mm) to treat active acne, acne scars, fine lines and wrinkles, pore size, uneven skin tone, stretch marks and poor skin elasticity. We recommend a series of 3 treatments spaced 2-3 weeks apart and for optimal results, complete in conjunction with laser and other collagen stimulating procedures. Collagen response deceases was we age and the ultimate goal with every anti-aging treatment is to shock your collagen back to life.
What to expect:
Upon arrival we will apply a topical lidocaine compound to your face and neck and let you numb for 30 minutes. Based on your skin’s needs, your service provider will choose a serum – Vitamin C, Vitamin A or Growth Factor (my personal fave) – to use throughout your entire treatment. She will begin using the Rejuvapen microneedling device on your forehead in a circular motion while continuously applying the serum. The micro needles create tiny injuries to the skin and penetrate into the dermis triggering your collagen response and allowing for maximum product penetration so the product can get to work! She will then repeat this process for the rest of your face and neck. The forehead and bridge of your nose tend to be the most sensitive, but for the most part you’ll just feel small vibrations and find this treatment comfortable. Immediately after, you’ll be pink or red comparable to a sunburn and may want to lay low the rest of the day.
Vampire (PRP) Facial
Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) is an extract of your own blood that contains three to five times more platelets, growth factors and active proteins for tissue and injury healing. When PRP is placed back into the skin by injection or microneedling, it initiates a localized cellular response. Over the weeks and months following treatment, this response recruits collagen-producing cells called fibroblasts. The fibroblasts replace tissue that has been damaged or lost through the aging process with healthy skin that looks refreshed and rejuvenated. The healing properties of the blood components in PRP can be used as a cosmetic treatment for the following:
- Reducing fine lines and wrinkles
- Tightening and toning skin
- Brightening uneven skin tone
- Mild collagen and volume loss
- Crow’s feet and dark under eye circles
- Large pores/rough texture
- Acne scarring
- We will apply a topical lidocaine to your face and neck while your blood is drawn. We only need 30 mL of blood so this is quick and painless. The vial is then placed into a centrifuge which separates your PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma, red in color) from the PPP (Platelet Poor Plasma, clear in color).
- Your red PRP will then be microneedled back into your skin. (See above description). This is truly the only difference between these two treatments. Instead of using one of our other serums (the Vitamin C, Vitamin A or Growth Factor) we use your body’s own PRP. The benefits of PRP cannot be recreated in any cosmetic, cosmeceutical or pharmaceutical product because it’s our body’s own cells creating new tissue and healthy skin.
- Rinse the plasma “mask” off anywhere from 20 minutes – 24 hours post treatment.
- We will send you home with Growth Factor Serum so that you may take advantage of its benefits as well – rub it on your face for hydration and healing and improved benefits.
What to expect:
- The entire process will take 75-90 minutes.
- Immediately post treatment, your skin will feel very tight and a little tender like you have a sunburn or windburn. Once you rinse the “mask” off, your skin will be pink for 24-48 hours.
- You might feel a little dry and flaky but this is completely normal and should only last 2-3 days.
- You’ll see the benefits of one treatment last 10-12 weeks so it’s meant to be done quarterly – once every 3 months.
Excerpts courtesy of Hollyday Spa.