Everything you need to know about Neurotoxins
In our society, we have a tendency to associate products with name brands, and for many people, the brand name Botox is synonymous with neurotoxin injections. However, this is only one of many brands and types of neurotoxin injections available today. Neurotoxin injections are used to temporarily paralyze muscles in order to reduce wrinkles and create a more youthful appearance. Botox is just one type of neurotoxin, and there are several other brands available on the market today, including Dysport, Jeuveau, and Xeomin.
What is a Neurotoxin?
Neurotoxin injections reduce facial lines and wrinkles formed from the aging process and by hyper-functional muscles. Turning back the clock to literally erase your wrinkles and fill in stubborn lines, without going under the knife. Neurotoxin smooths the wrinkles around your forehead and eyes with a simple, safe, and non-surgical treatment.
How does it work?
The contractions and movements of the facial muscles are controlled by signals from the brain. Neurotoxin simply prevents the muscle from responding to these messages. As a result, the muscle relaxes and the overlying skin remains unwrinkled and smooth.
How are neurotoxins measured?
Although BOTOX, Dysport, Jeuveau, and Xeomin are all measured in units, not all of these units are equal. For example, Dysport is slightly less potent than the other 3 neurotoxins, therefore it may take more units of Dysport to achieve one’s desired results. Aside from Dysport, BOTOX, Jeuveau, and Xeomin all have roughly the same potency.
What are common areas for neurotoxin treatments?
- Glabellar lines – the frown lines between the eyes that look like a number eleven
- Crow’s feet – the wrinkles at the corners of the eyes that can resemble crow foot impressions
- Forehead creases – the horizontal lines across the forehead
- Lip lines – lines that occur around the mouth
- Bunny lines – the wrinkles that develop on the nose
Many people are interested in neurotoxin injections to improve their appearance. Neurotoxin injections can be used to improve the symmetry of the smile, the downturned corners of the mouth, the pebbling of the chin, the contouring of the lower face and jawline, and neck rejuvenation. It is important to select an experienced injector to apply these more advanced techniques.
How long does treatment last?
The effects usually last 3 to 4 months and fade away gradually. Following several treatments, the results may last longer.
- BOTOX takes about 5 to 7 days for results to appear, and lasts about 3 to 4 months
- Dysport takes about 2 to 4 days for results to appear, and lasts about 3 to 4 months
- Jeuveau takes about 3 to 5 days for results to appear, and lasts about 3 to 4 months
- Xeomin takes about 5 to 7 days for results to appear, and lasts about 3 to 4 months
What is treatment like?
With a very fine needle, Neurotoxin is injected into the specific muscle that is contracting and causing the lines and wrinkles on the face. Treatment is effective, safe, and takes approximately 10 minutes. The pain is a minimal “pin prick” and no anesthetic is required.
Are there any possible side effects?
Temporary bruising is sometimes experienced, though this symptom resolves itself within a few days.
What type of results will I see?
Typically, the effect is visible within 3 days. Maximum benefits are reached between 10 to 14 days. Once the muscle becomes dormant and the skin softens, you will have a more relaxed and youthful appearance.
What are other uses for Neurotoxin Treatments?
In addition to cosmetic uses, there are many other applications for neurotoxin injections, including:
- Hyperhidrosis – Excessive sweating that affects the underarms, hands, feet, and face may be treatable with regular neurotoxin injections
- Migraines – Many patients have achieved good results from the use of therapeutic neurotoxin injections to reduce the number and severity of migraines. We recommend seeing a neurologist who specializes in migraines.
- Muscle spasms – Painful muscle spasms and unconscious movements that cause discomfort can be limited with neurotoxin injections. This could be addressed with a sports medicine physician.
- Incontinence – Neurotoxin injections can prevent involuntary spasms that lead to incontinence for some bladder control issues. This can be addressed with your OBGYN or urologist.
Overall when it comes to neurotoxin injections, there are a lot of different brand names out there. Botox is probably the most well-known, but there are others like Dysport, Jeauveau, Xeomin. They all have their own unique properties and benefits, so it’s really up to the individual to decide which one is right for them. There’s no need to be loyal to just one brand – after all, you’re the one who’s going to be looking amazing!
If you’re considering getting neurotoxin injections, be sure to do your research and consult with one of our qualified professionals to figure out which brand is best for you.