Most people are aware that chemical peel treatments exist, but many of them wonder why someone would want to have one done. Having a chemical peel can benefit your skin in a number of ways. Let’s take a look at how it works, the different types of peels available today, and what exactly can be achieved.
What is a Chemical Peel?
The goal of a professional peel is to remove the top layer of skin in order to make way for healthier, younger-looking skin. This involves applying a chemical solution to the skin for a set amount of time. There are a variety of intensities available, depending on your needs and preferences. Some people call this treatment chemexfoliation or dermapeeling, but they are referring to the same thing.
What Can a Chemical Peel Do For You?
People love having a chemical peel because it treats so many different skin issues at one time. Some examples include:
- Reduce the appearance of acne and other scars
- Reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduce age spots
- Reduce freckles
- Minimize the appearance of sun damage
- Improve the overall texture and appearance of your skin
How Do You Prepare for a Peel?
There are some things you can do prior to your peel that will ensure you get the best possible results. General tips include:
- Drinking a lot of water: Hydration is a key part of the chemical peel equation. When you are dehydrated, your skin becomes especially sensitive. This increases your chances of having a negative reaction to your peel.
- Thoroughly exfoliating: You do not want the chemical solution to have to waste its time on built-up dead skin cells and dirt. In order to make the most of your chemical peel, go in with as clean skin as possible. Exfoliating in the weeks leading up to your appointment will also help to prep your skin for what is to come. You will be advised when to stop at-home exfoliation, and we can also tell you which products to use for the best outcome.
- Following individual instructions: There are certain medications that need to be stopped prior to a peel, depending on its depth and other factors. At your personalized consultation, we will cover your health history and let you know if any changes will need to be made prior to your peel.
- Don’t work out the day of the treatment: As mentioned above, hydration is key. Working out is a quick way to dehydrate yourself. Even if you always drink plenty of water during your workouts, stay on the safe side and take a day off at the gym for your peel.
- Do not test new products: Do not rock the boat with your skincare routine in the weeks leading up to your procedure. This can result in making your skin extra sensitive.
The Chemical Peel Process
A peel is considered non-surgical and is done on an outpatient basis here in the comfort of our office. When the time for your treatment comes, we will clean your face thoroughly prior to beginning. Next, the chemical solution is applied to the face. While on your face, you may feel some tingling. However, it all depends on the unique situation.
What to Expect After a Peel
After your treatment, many people compare what happens next to having a sunburn. The skin may be red, for example. This may last anywhere from days to weeks. Once the peeling process has finished, your fresh skin will be revealed!
How often the peel can be repeated depends on what depth was used and other factors. Some people choose to have mild peels repeated often, while others prefer having a deeper type of peel done once. You will be given specialized aftercare instructions after your treatment so that you can reap the most benefits from the peel.
How to Get the Most Out of Your Peel
Once your peel is complete, there are a few things you will want to do in order to have the best-looking skin possible. Three basic but important things to remember are:
- Avoid the sun!: The skin that is revealed by your peel will be extra sensitive, so you will want to be sure to protect it from the sun! Avoid direct exposure, stay indoors between 10 am and 2 pm, wear sunscreen, and bring a hat and sunglasses when you head outdoors. This will help protect your younger, smoother, healthier skin.
- Drink lots of water: The human body needs water to look and feel its best. This will be especially important in the days following your peel. Drinking lots of water helps you heal from your peel and have beautiful skin for a longer time period.
- Follow your aftercare instructions: You will be given recommendations on your skincare routine after you leave. These instructions will be based on the needs of your skin and should be followed in order to maximize your results.
Different Chemical Peel Options
Generally speaking, chemical peels are typically categorized by three different intensity levels. The intensity is determined by how many layers of skin are removed. They all use different chemical solutions in order to accomplish this. Each depth comes with its own benefits.
Consider the following guidelines when thinking about what depth level may be right for you:
- Mild (Light): This type will typically only remove the outer layer of the skin. It can be effective on mild wrinkles, uneven skin tone, and dryness. Since it is easier on the skin, it can be repeated fairly regularly to help you reach your goals.
- Medium: In this type of chemical peel, some layers are removed from the dermis, which are the middle layers of the skin. This type of peel may be able to reduce the appearance of acne scars. It can also be a more effective treatment for wrinkles and evening out the skin tone.
- Deep: This peel will remove the top layer of skin, as well as more layers of the dermis than a medium peel. You may benefit from this type of peel if you have very deep scars or wrinkles.
Results with a Chemical Peel
The results from your peel depend on how many you have had and their intensity. Light chemical peels have a cumulative effect, meaning your skin will get better and better with every treatment. This type of peel starts out with subtle results that develop over time. A medium peel, on the other hand, will show drastically smoother skin as soon as it has healed. This is even more true with a deeper type of peel.
Results can be long-term with this treatment. With that being said, your lifestyle choices can dramatically impact how long your smoother, more even tone lasts. Protecting your skin from the sun can prevent further sun damage from happening. There is nothing that can be done to stop the aging process, however, so expect to need follow-up chemical peels or other aesthetic treatments down the road.
The Initial Consultation
This treatment is a great option for a wide variety of people in and around the Kansas City area. At your consultation, we will discuss your medical history and any medications or supplements you are taking. Prior cosmetic procedures will be discussed as well. This is done to ensure that a chemical peel will be a safe skincare solution for you.
At your consultation, you can also expect an assessment of the area you would like to be treated. This gives us a better idea of what type of peel treatment would be the most beneficial for you and helps us to develop your treatment plan. Things like the thickness of your skin and your natural skin tone will be factored in to come up with the best plan of action for you and your goals.
Once a plan is made, we will be able to tell you more about what you can expect from the process. This includes things such as how many treatments you will need to meet your goals and what you can expect the healing process to be like in your case. We want to address any and all concerns during this time so that there are no surprises during and after your treatment.
Who is a Good Candidate for a Chemical Peel?
Thanks to advances in the field, various skin tones can now benefit from the treatment. Typically speaking, however, those with darker skin may want to stick to mild peels in order to reduce the risk of hyperpigmentation.
A good candidate for this procedure will be someone who has realistic expectations for what it can and cannot do. This will be covered at your consultation as well, which will be your opportunity to get any questions answered.
You may not be considered a good candidate for this procedure if you are trying to deal with sagging skin or bulges on the face. It may also not be enough to deal with deep wrinkles. Other treatments can be recommended in these cases, as we are proud to offer a wide range of aesthetic treatments for addressing a variety of complaints and concerns.
Learn More During a Consultation
Take charge of your skin’s appearance by scheduling your skincare consultation with the professionals at aNu Aesthetics™ and Optimal Wellness. A member of our friendly team will be happy to speak with you. The consultation represents your first step on the road to younger, smoother, healthier skin.
aNu Aesthetics™ and Optimal Wellness has two locations in the Kansas City area. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and get started. We look forward to hearing from you!